Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Trap Door 3 Scan Shuffle to YLZI


Lizard Island
Aural sensory perception is a large part of aviation. Judging how your aircraft “feels” isn’t all touch, it’s how she sounds too. Our simulator package has that virtual aspect covered. We measure audio power output in 4 figures.

Yesterday, today in North America, we arrived at helo pad #1 of Cairns Intl (YBCS). It was 0330 local. I'd planned the flight to YLZI in my weather engine (Active Sky), textures (Rex 4) and finally in the FSX_SE flight planner. Upon arrival at YBCS I shut down the Jet Ranger’s engine & systems to look over my nav plates for YLZI and to assign a monitor location for her nav systems.
 
Suddenly my world rumbled. My ears told me we had a thunder storm rolling in. When I looked outside my real world sky was clear …my inner geek quickly became elated as I realized the incoming storm was from inside "the box". I sat outside of our virtual bird for an hour to watch the sun rise over Cairns Intl and listen to a thunder storm blow in.

Transition from Jet Ranger to Ping Pong Ball
About the thunder storm …pockets of our flight to YLZI were filled with vibrant textures and colors that spanned the rainbow. Those pockets would turn into our beloved ping pong ball in a heartbeat.
We made it to YLZI intact by practicing the Trap Door 3 Scan Shuffle. The HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator) or Trap Door is your go to guy. Call it a trap door because if you don’t pay attention to it …yup, you’ll think you’ve fallen through a trap door. Bring his buddies, “The Fine Tuners”, TC & VSI into your scan and you will know if you’ve got a bad attitude when you can’t see it for yourself.
Lizard Island Resort
As for Lizard Island …we’ll let the pictures speak for themselves. "The Great Barrier Reef" is a huge understatement for just how large and beautiful the Barrier Reef actually is.

The Lizard Island Resort ...a first class business that receives a "Best Of" award.


Lizard Island



















Skysafari tour of Lizard Island & surrounding Main Land:

No comments:

Post a Comment